These crackers are a cheesy, flavor snack you can enjoy alongside a sandwich or on their own. Feel free to experiment with different kinds of herbs such as coriander, fennel, dill, lavender, sage, tarragon, crushed peppercorn.
Italian Herb Onion ‘Cheese’ Crackers [Vegan, Raw, Gluten-Free]
- ½ cup of white almonds (these can be purchased, or you can make your own. See recipe notes)
- ½ cup of cashews
- 6 tablespoons of water
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 ½ tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1/3 teaspoon of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
- 1 small red onion, minced
- ½ tablespoon of dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon of dried basil
- ½ tablespoon of dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme (optional)
- Combine white almonds, cashews, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and salt in the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Use a spatula to spread the almond cashew cheese mixture onto a dehydrator tray lined with a Teflex sheet or a fire-resistant tray if you are working with a regular oven.
- Top the mixture with minced red onion, oregano, basil, rosemary and thyme.
- Dehydrate the crackers at 115°F (or the lowest temperature of your oven & hot air circulation) for 12 hours or longer, until the top of the crackers is completely dry and crunchy.
- When the crackers are dry enough, flip them over by placing a second dehydrator tray (without a Teflex sheet) on top of the crackers and turning both around. Now you can easily remove the Teflex sheet that is still covering the moist side of the crackers. This will allow them to dry more quickly and efficiently.
- Dehydrate the crackers for another 10 hours or more until they are completely dry on both sides. They will still be slightly soft on the inside.
Follow these steps to create white almonds: Soak ½ cup of almonds in purified water for 8-12 hours or overnight. Pour away the brown soaking water and soak in warm water for about 10 minutes. Peel the almonds by squeezing them between your thumb and index finger. Store in a cool, dark place and these crackers will keep for at least 3-months.