Please don’t let the longer list of ingredients scare you away from this recipe! The ingredients are simple and tend to be household staples--perhaps with the exception of fresh basil. You'll end up with an amazing burger!
Italian Chickpea Burgers [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 small red onion, diced (about 3 ⁄ 4 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1, 15-ounce can chickpeas, no-salt added, rinsed & drained
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup oat flour, or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, loosely packed & roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 ⁄ 4 teaspoon ground pepper, or to taste
- 4 whole wheat/grain hamburger buns
- Suggested Toppings: Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, Butter Lettuce Leafs, Caramelized Onions, Fresh Basil
- In a small bowl or dish, add 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed and 3 tablespoons of water. Let it sit 5-10 minutes, while you prepare the rest of the burger.
- Heat a medium saucepan to medium heat. Once heated, add the diced red onion. Saute the red onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of water as needed if the onions begin to stick. Next, add the minced garlic until it becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds - 1 minute. Transfer onion and garlic to a large bowl.
- Using a food processor, add the drained and rinsed chickpeas. Pulse until the mixture is broken down into small pieces, but before it starts to become a smooth mixture. Add to the onion and garlic mixture.
- Next, grind the raw cashews into small pieces, similar to the chickpeas. Add to the same large bowl. If needed, grind your oats to make oat flour. Add to same large bowl.
- To the mixture in the large bowl, add the oregano, thyme, rosemary, fresh basil, balsamic vinegar, flax & water mixture, salt & pepper. Mix until combined. The mixture should be sticking together without sticking to your hands too much. If the mixture is too dry, add 1 tablespoon of water, as needed. It the mixture is too wet, add 1 tablespoon of oat flour, if needed. Feel free to taste the uncooked mixture at this point to adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Patty the mixture into 4 burger patties. Preheat a non-stick skillet, stovetop pan, or grill to medium heat. (If you do not have a non-stick surface, you may have to add a small amount of oil.) Add each patty and cook until browned, about 5 minutes on each side. Once done, assemble the burgers with desired toppings.