A play off the traditional Irish dish of Colcannon mashed potatoes, this Vegan Irish Colcannon Soup combines the flavors of the traditional dish with a slight twist! The traditional soup combines potatoes, cabbage or kale, and butter or cream. This one subs in coconut milk to make it creamy and a delicious blend of spice. It is typically served as a side dish and it even has its own song! Thick, creamy and made without any dairy or meat, this Irish Colcannon Soup is amazing!
Irish Colcannon Soup [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Irish Colcannon Soup [Vegan]
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 5 cups vegetable broth, reduced sodium
- 2 cups green cabbage, sliced thin
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk, lite or full fat
- 1 teaspoon thyme, fresh
- 2 teaspoons rosemary, fresh
- salt & pepper to taste
How to Prepare Irish Colcannon Soup [Vegan]
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large stock pot. Add the onion and cook for two minutes or until just beginning to brown.
- Add potatoes, cabbage and vegetable broth. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and allow soup to cook until potatoes have softened, roughly 10 minutes.
- Once potatoes have softened, turn off heat. Puree soup using an immersion blender but don't puree smooth. Leave some of the potatoes chunky. You could also transfer two cups of soup to a blender, blend until smooth, then stir back into the pot.
- Once soup has been pureed, stir in spices and coconut milk. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.