Instant Pot vegetable curry rice is pilaf style with veggies, curry powder, and extra spices to give it a burst of flavor with every bite. The Instant Pot makes quick work of this healthy brown basmati rice loaded with everything you need for a quick vegan lite meal or side dish with pizzazz.
Instant Pot Vegetable Curry Rice [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked or sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups brown basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Heat the Instant Pot to High Simmer. Add the cumin seeds and black mustard seeds. Toast the seeds for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the onions and carrots. Mix them into the spices and sauté for 3 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, coriander, paprika, and chili powder. Stir all the ingredients for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the rinsed rice. Allow 2-3 minutes to mix the rice will all of the seasonings. This allows a few minutes for the rice to start collecting the flavors.
- Add the broth and use a wooden spoon to clear the bottom of the Instant Pot from any vegetables that are sticking.
- Mix in the frozen peas. Give the Instant Pot another clear along the bottom. Then place the lid on the Instant Pot.
- Set the steam release handle to Sealing. Set the time for 22 minutes at High Pressure. Turn off the warm function.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished. Allow 10 minutes for a natural steam release. Then you can unseal the Instant Pot using the steam release handle.
- Fluff the rice and serve.