The name literally means "mix mix" in Indonesian – it’s just a whole big mixed salad with a nice peanut dressing (the peanut dressing is "da bomb." I’m not kidding). Also, it makes an equally tasty dinner when served with rice. Highly recommended!
Indonesian Gado Gado [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Indonesian Gado Gado [Vegan]
For the Gado-Gado:
- 2 cups cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 2 cups of snake bean, cut into 2-inch lengths/green beans
- 4 ounces firm tofu, cut into planks
- 1 wedge kaffir lime/regular lime
- 1 hot chili
- 1/2 cup water
- Half a sweet potato, cubed
- Red cabbage, shredded (optional)
- Cucumber, thinly sliced with a vegetable peeler
- Cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- Coconut oil
For the Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups fried peanuts, shells on (roasted will do as well)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lesser galangal (or galangal or small piece of ginger)
- 2 candlenuts (or macadamia or Brazil nuts)
- 4 tablespoons sweet soy sauce (Ketjap, found at any Asian market, or tamari for a gluten-free version)
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
How to Prepare Indonesian Gado Gado [Vegan]
- To make the sauce, first slice the chili and remove the seeds. Blend the peanuts, candle nut, lesser galangal and chili until they form a thick smooth paste. Mix the paste with half a cup of water and simmer over low heat for five minutes. Mix in the sweet soy sauce, palm sugar, salt and squeeze in the lime. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- For the vegetables, begin by blanching the cabbage for less than a minute in boiling water. Then the snake bean – about three minutes. Steam the sweet potato cubes in a mesh sieve over a pot of boiling water until tender (lid on). Next, fry the tofu in coconut oil until crispy – this requires quite a lot of coconut oil.
- Prepare all other vegetables, arrange on a plate and serve with the peanut sauce. Enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 1288 | Total Carbs: 147 g | Total Fat: 59 g | Total Protein: 45 g | Total Sodium: 2330 g | Total Sugar: 94 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.