A simple to make, seasonal, spicy chili that is hearty and delicious! The jackfruit takes on the role of the meat replacement in this dish for a filling Autumn-inspired chili.
Indian Spiced Pumpkin and Jackfruit Chili [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 fresh jalapeño, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chilies (more to taste!)
- 1, 20-ounce can jackfruit, packed in water or brine, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup all natural root beer (not diet!)
- 1, 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a pot.
- Add onion and sauté 2 to 3 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add garlic and sauté an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in jalapeño, chili powder, garam masala, coriander, turmeric, and crushed red chilies. Stir to combine.
- Add in jackfruit and toss to combine. Using the edge of your spoon or spatula to break up the jackfruit as it cooks. Continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add in root beer, tomatoes, and pumpkin. Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to low, and continue to cook, constantly stirring, until jackfruit is stringy and tender. About 10 minutes.
- Serve garnished with non-dairy sour cream and chopped cilantro if desired.