Mushrooms and eggplant create a great start for a dish that is clean, creamy, and wonderfully satisfying. Perfect gateway meal to help those progressing from a meat-eating diet to a plant-based one.
Indian Spiced Mushroom and Eggplant Curry [Vegan]
- 1 cup mushrooms of your choice halved or quartered (depending on size)
- 2 medium-size eggplants cubed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or water for oil-free
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne use more or less to suit your taste
- 1 13 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Salt to taste
- Fresh herbs for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large (oven friendly) skillet, melt the coconut oil (or warm water) over medium-high heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Toss in the eggplant and season with salt and pepper. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Toss in the garlic, turmeric, coriander, and cayenne pepper and cook for another minute or so.
- Move the pan into the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Remove and toss. If necessary, put back in the oven for another 5 minutes until vegetables are done according to your liking.
- After roasting is finished place the pan back on the stove element over low heat.
- Stir in coconut milk. Simmer for about 4- 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle the garam masala, adjust the seasoning, if needed.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice just before serving and garnish with fresh herbs.
- Serve with a grain of choice (quinoa or basmati rice)or with a side of a green salad.