Spicy and satisfying Indian tacos: creamy coconut curried chickpeas and greens topped with tangy chutney and cooling vegan raita in a warmed corn tortilla.
Indian Chickpea Tacos With Cucumber Raita [Vegan]
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 bunch kale, remove stem and slice thin
- 2 cups chickpeas, cooked
- 1-2 tablespoons lime juice
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup vegan yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mint, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Add in coconut oil. Once it has melted add mustard seeds. Cook for about 60 seconds until the mustard seeds start to pop.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir in onions. Saute for 5 minutes until onions are translucent. Add in garlic and ginger. Saute for another 2 minutes until the garlic is fragrant. Stir in curry powder, cumin, red pepper, garam masala and salt. Add in tomatoes to deglaze pan. Stir in coconut milk and let mixture cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in kale and chickpeas. Cook for an additional 10 minutes until kale is wilted. Stir in lime juice (start with 1 tablespoon) and taste for salt.
- Serve in warmed corn tortillas with chutney and vegan raita.
- Grate the cucumber into a large bowl. Add remaining raita ingredients, stir to combine. Taste for salt. Keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.