Hunan Style Steamed Eggplant is a Chinese vegetarian dish prepared with steamed eggplant topped with a sauce prepared with sesame paste, fermented black beans, soy sauce, sesame oil, chilli oil and Asian aromatics.
Hunan-Style Steamed Eggplant [Vegan]
- 6 medium Japanese eggplants, sliced into 3-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fermented black beans
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 4 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chili oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 pcs bird eye chillies, chopped
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
- Arrange eggplants in a heatproof plate then place it on a steamer, steam the eggplants for 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Remove plate from the steamer then set it aside, do not drain off any liquid from the plate.
- In a wok heat peanut oil and sesame oil over medium heat, add ginger, sesame seeds and garlic. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the chilli oil, sesame paste, soy sauce, salt, and sugar, mix it well then let is simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the chillies, spring onions and black beans simmer for one more minute while slightly mashing the black beans. Turn heat off then pour sauce on top of plate with eggplant. Garnish with chopped spring onions on top then serve.