This hearty vegan mushroom curry is a little sweet, nicely spicy and packed with meaty mushrooms. The all-veggie sauce is easy to make and brimming with authentic Indian flavor. Such a cozy meal for cold nights! Make this vegan mushroom curry for your next family dinner––it will impress vegans and non-vegans alike!
Hot and Hearty Mushroom Curry [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Hot and Hearty Mushroom Curry [Vegan]
For the Spices:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon red curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the Curry:
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 16 ounces Cremini mushrooms, sliced thick
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium red, yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 3 medium-large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound carrots, chopped into 1 inch-ish pieces (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 3 cups spinach greens
- Juice of 1/2 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Hot and Hearty Mushroom Curry [Vegan]
- In a large non-stick cooking pot, heat 1 teaspoon of oil on medium. Sauté the mushrooms for about 5 minutes, or until they're quite juicy and reduced in size. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the same pot and reduce the heat to low. Add all the spices and let them bloom in the oil for about two minutes. Add a little water if they're looking dry.
- Raise the heat to medium and add the onion and pepper. Saute for about 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for another two minutes. Reduce the heat and add a little water if needed.
- Add the carrots, water, and salt and raise the heat to high; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree the carrot mixture into a creamy sauce. You can also use a food processor and do it in two shifts. If using a food processor, when you're done return the sauce to the pot.
- Heat the sauce on medium-low and stir in the peanut butter, greens and mushrooms. Heat through until the greens start to wilt.
- Serve alone or with your favorite rice, quinoa or flatbread.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 839 | Total Carbs: 100 g | Total Fat: 41 g | Total Protein: 29 g | Total Sodium: 465 g | Total Sugar: 54 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.