These homemade vegan sausages are perfectly infused with spices and flavor, have the perfect texture, and the best part is you don’t need any foil to make them! The hardest part is waiting for them to cook. These are SO worth it though! Bursting with flavor in every bite, these beat store bought sausage by a long shot.
Homemade Vegan Sausage [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Homemade Vegan Sausage [Vegan]
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 cup of cooked chickpeas
- 2/3 cup of diced onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of tamari concentrate
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/4 cup of cold water
- 1 Teaspoon of dried chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of vital wheat gluten
How to Prepare Homemade Vegan Sausage [Vegan]
- Bring 1/2 a pot of water to a boil, then lower the heat while we prepare our vegan sausages.
- Heat a saucepan on medium heat. Finely dice the onion, crush the garlic cloves then add them to the pan along with the olive oil. When the onion starts to sweat add the cooked chickpeas and give it all a good stir.
- Next, add the sea salt, black pepper, dry oregano, dried chili flakes, smoked paprika, and nutritional yeast, and stir well. Finally, add the tamari and take the pan off the heat.
- Transfer into a food processor and roughly blend with the cold water (see notes).
- Add the vital wheat gluten, mix until combined then knead for a minute.
- Next, divide your mixture into 6 balls and cut 6 baking paper squares, then place one ball on the baking paper square and shape it into a sausage.
- Next, roll your sausage and twist the ends like you would with a toffee wrapper, making sure the ends are tightly closed.
- Tightly arrange them inside a small pot and place a heat proof, glass bowl on top. This is done so they won’t move and fall apart when they cook.
- Fill the pot a 3/4 way full of the boiling water then lower the heat and let them simmer for 45-50 minutes.
- When ready, take them out of the water and carefully unwrap them. Heat a pan on medium heat, add a drizzle of olive oil and sear the sausages on all sides until they’re nicely colored. This will also help remove any excess water that the sausages might have soaked up while cooking.
- Serve your homemade vegan sausages in a bun, on their own, with a salad, sliced in a pasta sauce, or in a super duper whoppa sandwich! The choices are endless!
If you don’t own a food processor, then transfer the mixture into a bowl, add the cold water and use a fork to roughly mash it.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.