Did you know that the bacon bits sold at supermarkets are actually vegan? It's true. Unfortunately, they're riddled with chemicals and dyes. This recipe on the other hand, simply uses textured vegetable protein, a little salt, and liquid smoke, and boiling water to create a deliciously smoky topping for your salads and baked potatoes. Get more out of your bacon!
Homemade TVP Bacon Bits [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons boiling water
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup textured vegetable protein granules (TVP)
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Combine boiling water and salt in a medium mixing bowl and stir until salt is dissolved.
- Add in liquid smoke and stir. Then, add in TVP and stir until it's coated evenly.
- Spread mixture on baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes or until bacon bits are crispy. Stir frequently.