This recipe is pretty simple, given its extraordinary flavor and texture profile. It does use quite a bit of cashews for the sauce part of the gravy, so it is NOT low fat.
Homemade Country Breakfast Sausage Gravy [Vegan]
For the sausage crumbles
- 1 8-oz package tempeh, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 2 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like it spicy)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch of salt or to taste (optional)
For the sauce
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
- Crumble the tempeh (I did this using my food processor… took about five pulses).
- Water sauté the tempeh with the rest of the sausage ingredients until the tempeh is tender and the herbs are well incorporated (about 10 minutes). Add bits of water to prevent sticking.
- Place the cashews, the water and the onion flakes in a high powered blender and blend until smooth. If you don’t have a high-powered blender, any blender will work if you soak the cashews for about three to four hours prior.
- Add the sauce to the sausage crumble mixture and stir well to combine. Simmer until warm, adding more water as needed and to get it to the thickness you desire. Keep in mind, the cashew sauce will continue to thicken as it heats so you may need to add water again and again if you’re keeping it warm on the stove.
- Top your favorite biscuits, or whatever else you like, with the gravy.