This high raw rice salad is satisfying, delicious and oh so nutritious! What on earth is a “high raw” salad anyway? Well, high raw basically means “mostly raw”. In other words a high percentage of the ingredients are raw, so you know you’re eating as much raw food as possible. This mostly raw salad is a filling, nutritious meal based around cooked carbohydrates, in this case rice. Apart from the seasonings, the only cooked ingredient is the rice. Everything else is raw and bursting with flavour and nutrition. In fact, by the time you add this many raw veggies to the rice, the rice is almost outnumbered. And the tamari, salt and hemp seeds just take the incredible flavors up a notch further. And the cooked starches make this high raw rice salad incredibly satisfying as well.
High Raw Rice Salad [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3/4 cup brown rice or white rice
- 3 med mushrooms , sliced
- 1/2 cup baby spinach , thinly sliced
- 1/8 med red capsicum / bell pepper , diced
- 1 med tomato , cubed
- 3/4 med avocado , diced
- 4 teaspoons hemp seeds / hearts
- 4 teaspoons tamari or raw tomato ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook the rice according to the directions on the packet OR use your preferred method.
- Soak the rice in plenty of water for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse the rice.
- Add 2 cups water for every 1 cup of rice (before soaking), and bring it to the boil.
- Simmer on the lowest possible heat for 40 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and allow it to sit for 15 mins to absorb any remaining water.
- Prepare the vegetables.
- Put the cooked rice into a bowl and add salt, mushrooms and tamari and mix thoroughly.
- Add the rest of the veggies, mix and serve.
- Can be served warm or cold.
- Store in the refrigerator. Keeps for up to 3 days.
The amounts of the vegetables are just guidelines. Add as much or as little of each of them as you like. You can reduce the amount of fat in this high raw rice salad, by using less of the avocado and hemp seeds. If you’re not a big fan of salty tastes, swap the tamari for some raw tomato ketchup.