This delicious, protein packed, pumpkin french toast takes only 5 ingredients and very little time - it is so unbelievable! This recipe is so easy you could make breakfast with your eyes closed. It is the perfect fall breakfast dish, loaded with nutrients and amazing flavors. You will never get enough!
High-Protein Pumpkin French Toast [Vegan]
- 4- 5 slices of gluten free bread, whole grain bread, or bread of choice
- 2/3 cup almond milk (or, for even more protein, use soy or hemp milk)
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin purée
- 1-2 medjool dates or 2 -3 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 heaping tablespoon vegan vanilla protein powder (or sub with ground flax seed)
- optional, but recommended, 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- coconut oil for frying
- Toast your bread before dipping it. This ensures that your bread doesn’t get soggy. Some people don’t mind a little sogginess so feel free to skip this step.
- Blend all ingredients except bread in a blender and pour into a shallow, wide dish. If it seems too thick, add a splash of almond milk and whisk it in. If it seems too thin, add a bit more pumpkin puree.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add a 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil. Right before cooking, dip your toast in the pumpkin puree. Then place in the pan and cook on both sides for a minute or two until lightly browned and crispy on the edges. Repeat with remaining slices. Place them in the warm toaster oven if there’s no one waiting next to the stove with a plate in their hands.
- Top with maple or coconut syrup and enjoy!