Unique and tender oat groats combined with lentils and roasted Brussels sprouts? The result is an extra flavorful, filling salad – perfect for a complete meal. This salad is definitely ideal for quick meals throughout the week, and to bring to work or school for lunch.
High-Protein Oat Groats and Lentil Salad [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Soy-Free]
- 1 1/2 cups oat groats (see note)
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 cups Brussels Sprouts, quartered
- 1 leek, sliced lengthwise, then chopped in 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 tablespoon virgin sunflower oil or rice bran oil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (no additives)
- 2 green onions, green parts only, finely sliced
- 3 teaspoons flax oil
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Add oat groats to a pot full of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 45-50 minutes. Drain.
- Add lentils to a pot with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered until oat groats are ready. If there is some water left, drain.
- Add Brussels sprouts, leeks, sunflower or rice bran oil, garlic powder and a couple pinches of salt to a big oven-safe casserole dish. Mix well. Cover with a lid or aluminum paper and bake at 425°F for 35-40 minutes.
- When oat groats, lentils and Brussels sprouts are ready, transfer to a bowl. Let cool until room temperature (or close). Add green onions, flax oil and salt to taste and mix.
Oat groats are whole oat grains. You can usually find them in the grain section, or the organic section at the supermarket. Use certified gluten-free if you are avoiding gluten. If you can't find them, hulled barley (contains gluten) or brown rice would work great. Use more sunflower oil if you can't have flax. The salad is good at room temperature and cold.
- Brussels Sprouts
- Flax Seed
- Sunflower Seed