The savory base of this pie is one of that never fails. The tofu filling seasoned with aromatic herbs perfectly combines with the taste of tomatoes and makes for an excellent vegan and fat-free alternative to the fillings normally used in pies and quiches. If you want your cake more colorful, buy cherry tomatoes of different colors!
Herbed Tofu and Cherry Tomato Quiche [Vegan]
For the Dough:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 whole rye flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons solid coconut oil
- 1/4 to 2/5 cups cold water
For the Tofu Filling:
- 8.8 ounces tofu
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 to 3 teaspoons of herbes de Provence
- 6 fresh leaves of basil plus a few more to garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
To Make the Dough:
- Mix the flour and salt.
- Add the coconut oil and incorporate into the flour with your fingers until a sand-like consistency is obtained.
- Add the ice water, spoon by spoon, and knead between each until the dough connects. Do not work the dough too much.
- Make a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and take to the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
To Make the Filling and Bake the Pie:
- Put the tofu in a food processor and chop until it is a paste. If necessary, add a tablespoon of water to facilitate the process.
- Add the seasonings and chop again. Make sure you need more salt or pepper.
- Turn the oven to 360ºF.
- Grease a pie shape with olive oil or coconut oil.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and spread it with the dough roller. Line the pie with the dough.
- Top with tofu filling.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes into halves and arrange them over the tofu filling.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a few more herbes de Provence.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with basil leaves. Serve warm or cold.