Perfect as a soft cheese or baked into a harder cheese with a rind, this herb & pistachio crusted gorgonzola will steal the show on any appetizer plate. With a base of cashews, this vegan cheese is high in protein and healthy fats, with a neutral flavor that allows you to add your favorite seasonings and toppings!
Herb and Pistachio Crusted Spirulina Blue Cheese [Vegan]
- 1 cup cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 garlic clove
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 teaspoon spirulina
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- Begin by soaking 1 cup of raw unsalted cashews in water overnight.
- Blend all the ingredients except for the pistachios, the spirulina, and the herbs in a highspeed blender until a creamy, almost peanut butter consistency forms scraping the sides as needed.
- Reserve 1/4 of this mixture and mix into it a teaspoon of each herb, and 2 teaspoons of spirulina.
- Place the plain cashew cheese onto a cheesecloth and form into a ball shape.
- In patches plop (yes plop) a tablespoon of the spirulina cheese mixture onto various places of the white cheese ball. Swirl these blue patches throughout with a toothpick.
- Once your cheese is marbled, tie the cheesecloth around the cheeseball and pierce with two long skewers. Use the skewers to secure the ball and to hang it over a bowl, this will allow the liquid from the cheeseball to drain into the bowl below over the course of the next two days.
- Leave your blue cheese ball in the fridge for two days suspended over the bowl to drain it of liquid.
- Once the two days have passed, mix together the herbs, some cracked black pepper, garlic powder, chopped pistachios, and a teaspoon of melted coconut oil into a bowl.
- Remove your cheeseball from the cheesecloth and shape into a ball.
- Cover your cheeseball with the herb and pistachio mixture. Then place on a piece of parchment paper on a baking tray.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and bake the cheeseball for 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool, and enjoy!