Labneh is a soft cheese that originated in the Middle East that is frequently compared to greek yogurt in terms of flavor and texture. While the processed vegan cheese market is rapidly expanding, you will likely find it difficult to find a pre-made version of labneh. But have no fear, homemade is always better tasting anyway! This recipe teaches you how to easily make a batch of your own with 6 easily accessible ingredients!
Herb and Pepper Labneh: Middle Eastern Cheese [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 10.6 ounces unsweetened, plain soy yogurt
- Whole salt, to taste
- Peppercorns, to taste
- A few slices of fresh chili peppers
- Fresh herbs, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- Coated a strainer with a linen cloth or cheese cloth. Pour in the yogurt with some salt. Place the colander over a bowl so that it can collect the liquid. Cover with foil, place in the refrigerator, and let it drip until more liquid comes out, stirring the yogurt every now and then over the course of about 6 days.
- Form balls with the now compact yogurt, lightly flatten them, and place them in a jar with dried chili. If you want other flavors, cover with oil and keep in the refrigerator. Just before serving, add herbs and flavors to the cheese.