This Healthy Falafel recipe is packed full of nutrition and is super yummy. Top it with the tahini sauce, and you're in falafel heaven! These ones are deep-fried, but they taste just as amazing when you bake them!
Healthy Falafel [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 28 ounces canned chickpeas (or 1 cup of dried chickpeas soaked overnight)
- 2 cups fresh cilantro, parsley, or mint leaves, or preferably a mixture of all three
- 6 green onions, white and pale green parts only, sliced
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Combine chickpeas, herbs, scallions, garlic, cumin, coriander, and salt in the food processor. Pulse until chickpeas have a gritty yet homogenous mixture. See picture for details
- Place in refrigerator for 15 minutes to allow time for more starches to work their magic, so they retain their shape.
- Start forming your falafel balls into 2 inches in diameter. Pour your oil into a saucepan and heat over high heat until oil reaches 375°F. Carefully lower chickpea balls into oil one at a time with a fork so as not to splash or crowd them. Cook in batches if necessary. Cook until well browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer cooked chickpea balls to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve with lemon