If you're looking to cut down on artificial sugars, then this recipe is for you. The Medjool dates are sweet enough to taste like candy while providing you with a good amount of fiber and fructose over sucrose. Not only are these date candies healthier than their processed counterparts, they can be made in less time than it would take to run to the store.
Healthy Chocolate Coconut Covered Date Candies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/3 cups of gluten-free oats
- 9 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 scoop vegan vanilla protein powder
- 1/3 cups vegan chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- Place the oats, dates, and protein powder into a food processor or high-performing blender and blitz until a large dough ball forms.
- Using your hands, press the dough into a square about 5x5-inch and be sure it's evenly flat.
- Place in the freezer for about 10 minutes while you melt your chocolate and coconut oil together. Place the desiccated coconut into a shallow bowl and set a side.
- Remove dough from the freezer and cut into 9 evenly-sized squares. Dip each square into the chocolate using a fork and let the excess chocolate drip off before placing the chocolate covered square into the desiccated coconut, rolling it around until it's completely covered. Once all the squares are coated in chocolate and covered in coconut, place them in the freezer for 20 minutes for chocolate to set before serving.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or a cool place.