This grilled zucchini and corn quinoa salad is loaded with grilled zucchini, corn and onions, bursts with sweet and citrus flavors, and fresh mint aroma. The roasting intensifies the sweetness of the onions and corn, which complement each other, and the slight charred flavors they get from the grill. The freshness of the lemon and mint cuts through, and brightens the overall flavors. And for substance there is cooked quinoa and salty, crunchy, toasted pepitas. It’s not only quite delicious, but filling and satisfying too. It keeps well in the fridge, and you can just freshen it up with more lemon juice and mint the next day.
Grilled Zucchini and Corn Quinoa Salad With Toasted Pepitas and Lemon Mint Dressing [Vegan]
- 2 red onions
- 2-3 zucchini
- 2 ears corn
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup toasted pepitas
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, presseda handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Rinse the quinoa, and place in a saucepan with 1 cup of water and a few pinches of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover, cooking for 15-20 minutes, until the quinoa is tender, and has absorbed the liquid.
- Cut the onions cross-wise into thick slices. Cut the zucchini length-wise into thin strips. Remove the husks from the corn, and cover each in aluminum foil.
- Preheat your bbq to medium-high. Brush the veggies with olive oil, and salt liberally. Place on the hot grill, and cook, turning them often, until the zucchini are soft, and the onions have become slightly charred (10-15 min). Continue cooking the corn for another 15-20 minutes, turning it occasionally for even cooking.
- Let the corn cool a bit, and cut off the kernels. You should get about 1-2 cups. Separate the onion rings. Mix all veggies with the cooked quinoa.
- Mix the juice of the lemons, with the olive oil, and pressed garlic. Pour the dressing over the quinoa, and grilled veggies. Top with the fresh mint, and toasted pepitas.