For this recipe I used a seitan I made from scratch, washing a plain flour dough to get to the gluten. It’s a pretty long process and not ideal if you have a very busy life, but I find it to be an interesting process. It's also the only way for us to get seitan here with no gluten flour for sale. You can just as well use store bought seitan for this recipe or your favorite homemade simmered seitan recipe. Oh and this is grilled in the English sense … so broiled to all of you in the states!
Grilled Seitan Kebabs With Creole Coconut Sauce [Vegan]
For the Grilled Seitan Kebabs with Creole Coconut Sauce:
- 4 cups seitan, homemade or store bought, approximately 1 cup per person
- 2 medium onions
- 8 bamboo skewers
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Creole spice mix, recipe below
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves of garlic
For the Creole Spice Mix:
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 12 dried Piri Piri chilis
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
For the Seitan:
- Chop the seitan into 1-2 inch chunks, and slice the onions into thick wedges. Arrange the seitan chunks onto the bamboo skewers evenly, with a wedge of onion between each piece of seitan, set aside as you prepare the sauce.
- Place the coconut milk, spice mix, tomato paste and garlic in a blender and blend until combined.
- Turn on the grill/broiler to a medium high heat. Place the seitan kebabs on a baking tray with high edges and cover with the sauce. Make sure that the kebabs are coated in the sauce then place under the grill.
- Grill/broil until the top starts to brown, maybe 5-10 minutes, remove and carefully turn the kebabs over in the baking tray to grill the other side, recoating with sauce if needed.
- Cook until the kebabs crisp up a bit and have slightly blackened edges, approximately 10 more minutes depending on your grill. Enjoy!
For the Spice Mix:
- Whizz everything up in a spice grinder/coffee grinder/ pestle and mortar until ground and combined. Store in a clean air tight jar alongside your other spices.