The Green Lentil Salad has a nice zip to it from the vinegar, garlic, pepper and onions. It is a dish that only gets tastier as the flavors develop in the fridge. Lentils are a great vegetarian source of protein that helps keep you satiated. They make a delicious lunch or dinner. The recipe makes a large batch so you have plenty for several lunches or dinners. Feel free to cut the recipe in half if you’d like fewer servings.
Green Lentil Salad [Vegan]
- 2 cups dried green lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 hot peppers, chopped finely (such as Serrano or jalapeño, or replace with a sweet pepper)
- 3 tablespoons (1 handful) parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Rinse, drain, and pick over lentils.
- To a large pot add 6 cups water and lentils.
- Bring to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, stir, cover the pot and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 35 minutes.
- Drain the lentils.
- To a large bowl add lentils, balsamic vinegar, onion, garlic, hot peppers, parsley, salt and pepper. Stir until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.