A springy one dish meal with fresh green garbanzos.
Green Chickpea Pulao: Indian-Style Rice [Vegan]
- 2 tablespoons olive or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves
- 2 to 3 sticks cinnamon
- 3 green cardamom
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- 1 cup basmati rice, washed and drained
- 1 cup shelled green chickpeas or green peas
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 cups of water
- Heat the oil on medium heat and add in the cumin seeds and wait until the seeds begin to sizzle, add in the cloves and stir well. Add in the onion and cook the onions until soft and beginning to turn a nice shade of toffee gold.
- Stir in the rice and cook for about 3 minutes, until the grains are well coated with the mixture.
- Add in the green chickpeas, turmeric and the salt and the water. Bring to a simmer and cover and cook for 15 minutes. Check to ensure that the water is mostly absorbed. The grains should be still moist.
- Let the rice rest for at least 15 minutes, before serving the rice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
When do you add the cardamom and cinnamon sticks?
I am curious to know where you picked up your green chickpeas?