If you're looking for comfort food, this green bean, potato, and carrot stew fits the bill! Packed with fresh-cooked green beans, tender potatoes, and carrots in a savory tomato broth. It's warmed by the addition of curry powder and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Once you make this recipe, you'll be hooked.
Green Bean, Potato, and Carrot Stew [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- About 2 pounds green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch long pieces
- 2 large potatoes, skin removed and diced in cubes
- 3 carrots, skin removed and diced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Juice of half lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- On a medium-high heat on the stove, using a very large cast iron pot, heat the oil until warm. Now add the onion and cook until translucent for about 3 minutes.
- Now add the mince and garlic and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add turmeric, curry, and cayenne and stir well to combine. Add few drops of water to release the spices from the bottom of the pot. Cook for further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the green beans, potatoes, and carrots and cook for further 8-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Now add vegetable stock, water, tomato sauce, and paste. Bring the stew to a gentle boil. Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with the lid leaving a small area open for the steam to escape.
- Reduce the heat and let it simmer on medium low heat for at least 50 minutes to an hour.
- Serve the stew with white Jasmine rice.