This traditional Greek bread has a hearty golden brown crust that's flecked with salt and inside it's soft, moist, and delicious. The roasted garlicky goodness is perfectly distributed in each bite of this beautiful loaf of bread– it's perfection.
Greek Roasted Garlic Skillet Bread [Vegan]
- 4 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour (you can use whole wheat in equal amounts, bread will just be denser)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt for dough, plus an additional 3-4 tablespoons sea salt to cover the top
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 2 cups lukewarm (neither hot nor cold) water
- 1-3 tablespoons mashed, roasted garlic depending on your preference (1-2 heads of garlic)
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl no smaller than 3 quarts to give dough room to rise.
- Add water 1 cup at a time, combining all dry ingredients with the first cup of water before adding the second cup. Take your time to incorporate the first cup completely before moving to second.
- Add the mashed roasted garlic and, with your hands, incorporate it evenly into the dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rise at room temperature anywhere from 8-12 hours.
- Right before uncovering the risen dough, flour a clean cutting board or counter surface lightly and prepare kitchen scissors with blades dipped in flour. Then preheat oven to 400°F and put cast iron or enamelware skillet in the oven to preheat at the same time.
- Remove hot pan from the oven, wipe the bottom of pan lightly with olive oil, and set it on the stove top.
- Turn out risen dough onto the floured surface, a rubber spatula can help here, and gently shape the dough into a ball.
- Transfer dough ball from the floured surface to hot pan, a dough scraper is helpful for this.
- Use prepared kitchen scissors to cut a cross in the top of your loaf, sprinkle it generously with sea salt, and bake it for 45-50 minutes until the loaf is a beautiful golden brown.
- Remove the bread from the pan immediately and allow it to cool for at least 10 minutes on a wire rack before cutting it.
- Whole Wheat