Made with just 5 ingredients and one pot in just under an hour, this traditional Greek potato stew (πατάτες γιαχνί) is rustic, potato perfection. Red ripe tomatoes, fresh parsley, sweet red onions, minced garlic and yellow potatoes simmered in olive oil combine to create one of the simplest, most authentic and amazingly delicious Greek dishes you will ever enjoy!
Greek Potato Stew / Patates Yahni [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Greek Potato Stew / Patates Yahni [Vegan]
- 3 lbs yellow potatoes (approx 6 cups of thick slices)
- 3 cups sliced red onions (about 3/4 of large onion)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic (approx 4 large cloves)
- 3/4 cup Greek olive oil
- 3 chopped large tomatoes (approx 2 1/2 pounds or 3 1/2 cups chopped)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste dissolved in 1 cup warm water (in addition to the 5 cups below)
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp Greek sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
How to Prepare Greek Potato Stew / Patates Yahni [Vegan]
- In a larger pot (ideally a 6 quart size), sauté red onions in olive oil over low heat until almost soft. Add garlic and sauté another 3-4 minutes until garlic is soft, careful not to burn.
- Add salt, pepper, tomato paste dissolved in water and chopped tomatoes. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes, adding parsley when you get to 8 minutes or so. Tomatoes should have begun to cook down and be pretty soft at this point.
- Add thick slices of potato and remaining water. Bring up to a boil, then lower to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 40 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender. Check potatoes at 35 minutes for doneness.
- Allow potato stew to sit, covered, off the heat for about 15-30 minutes before serving. Enjoy from the stove or at room temperature.
- Make ahead and serve the next day as a fantastic hot summer night’s dinner when you don’t want to cook or reheat something! Patates yiahni is a winner any time of year!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.