Orange cornbread, or bobota as they call it in Greece, is a sweet bread that is typically accompanied by coffee or tea. To make this soft, citrusy bread, fresh-squeezed orange juice is folded into cornmeal and then baked in the oven until fluffy. Topped with a sweet orange-cinnamon glaze, this is the perfect afternoon pick-me-up!
Greek Cinnamon Orange Cornbread [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Bread:
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup water, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoon sesame or light olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of orange zest
For the Syrup:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- Combine dry ingredients, except for the sugar, in large bowl, making sure there are no lumps in the cornmeal. In a separate bowl, whisk the orange juice, water, and sugar with a fork until sugar is completely dissolved. Add oil and whisk wet ingredients together well.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix gently until there are no lumps. Do not over mix. Fold in the orange zest and pour into pan.
- Bake at 350°F.
- In a loaf pan, bake for 30-35 minutes.
- While the bread is baking, add all syrup ingredients to pan and bring to a low simmer over medium heat. Simmer gently for 5 minutes, set aside until needed and remove cinnamon stick before using.