These cookies aren't like any cookies. They are dipped in syrup and sprinkled with walnuts before enjoying them!
Greek Christmas Cookies (Melomakarona)
For the Cookies:
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1/3 cup Orange juice
- half orange zest
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon clove powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
For the Syrup:
- 4 tablespoon Orange juice
- 1/2 cup Brown sugar
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the oats, baking powder, cinnamon and clove powder.
- In a separate bowl, put agave syrup, sunflower oil, zest and orange juice and add the baking soda. Mix well until foamy, then gradually add to dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Use my hands to make and knead the dough.
- Flour a surface, roll out dough with thick rolling pin and cut into biscuits. Place them on a sheet of lined baking sheet and bake in preheated oven at 356°F for about 17 minutes.
- Just before they are made, make the syrup by dissolving in a frying pan the sugar with the juice. Allow to boil foro 2 minutes.
- When you take the cookies out of the oven, immediately add them to the syrup mixture in the pan. Don't let them chill first.
- Allow the syrup to coat the cookies before removing them from the pan. Sprinkle the cookies with crushed walnuts, if you wish!