Need a last minute holiday treat? These delicious mini gingerbread mince pies outdo themselves in taste. They can be filled with whatever type of mincemeat you like, whether it's grandma's classic recipe or mincemeat from a jar and they're topped with homemade gingerbread and a sprinkle of confectioners' sugar to make them look snowy. Be sure to double the batch because it's guaranteed that people will want seconds!
Gingerbread Mince Pies [Vegan]
For the Gingerbread:
- 2 3/4 cups plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 2/5 cup dark brown sugar
- 2/5 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup or other sweetener
- 1 vegan egg replacer
For the Pies:
- 1/2 an eating apple
- Roughly 7.2 ounces mincemeat or 1/2 a jar of mincemeat
- 6.7 ounces pastry dough
- Vegan gingerbread (recipe above)
To Make the Gingerbread:
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and ginger into a bowl and rub in the butter. Add in the sugar and mix well then add the golden syrup. Add in the egg replacer and mix until all ingredients are incorporated. Knead thoroughly until the dough is smooth and pliable.
To Make the Pies:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Have your gingerbread dough ready.
- Grate the apple and mix in a bowl with the mincemeat then set aside.
- Roll out the pastry to 1/8-inch or thinner and cut circles, place the circles in a cupcake tray and press lightly into position. Roll out the gingerbread and cut into whatever shapes you like for topping the pies.
- Put one heaped teaspoon of mincemeat and apple mixture in each hole and top with gingerbread. You'll likely have leftover dough. Use it to make cookies. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until pastry is cooked.
- When cooled sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.