The warmth of the ginger combined with the sweetness of the sweet potato gives this Sweet Potato and Zucchini Soup with Curried Sunflower Seeds a deep, complex flavor.
Ginger Sweet Potato and Zucchini Soup [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium zucchini, skin removed and cubed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
For the soup:
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the chopped onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add sweet potato, zucchini, and ginger. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 25-30 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are soft. Add salt and pepper.
- Carefully transfer soup to blender and puree on high until silky smooth.
- Serve immediately with curry roasted sunflower seeds and chopped parsley.
Curried Sunflower Seeds:
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a small bowl, combine sunflower seeds, oil, and curry powder. Toss to combine, making sure sunflower seeds are well coated. Transfer mixture to a parchment lined baking sheet and roast 15-20 minutes, or until fragrant and golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Set aside until ready to serve.