Love garden-fresh vegetables in a delicious marinade? You will love this dish! Thick slices of summer squash are grilled and marinated in a delicious tamari, ginger, and miso sauce. Paired with vegetable fried rice, this meal is sure to satisfy.
Ginger Grilled Sesame Eggplant [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Eggplant:
- 2 eggplants, cut into 1/4-inch length wise slices
- 1 yellow zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch length wise slices
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or gluten-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon miso mixed with 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
For the Fried Rice:
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion or scallion
- A handful of broccoli florets
- A handful of cauliflower florets
- 3 kale leaves, chopped
- 3 Swiss chard leaves, chopped
- 1 cup chopped red cabbage
- A handful of basil leaves, chopped
- 3/4 cup leftover marinade
To Make the Eggplant:
- Mix together coconut amino or tamari, sesame oil, sesame seeds, sugar, miso, and ginger.
- Add eggplant and zucchini to a plastic bag and add marinade. Let this sit for 1 hour to overnight.
- Heat the grill to 425°F, grill pieces of eggplant and zucchini 3 minutes per side.
To Make the Fried Rice:
- Cook the rice in 2 cups of water or as per instructions on the bag.
- In a wok or large frying pan, add sesame oil and onion, when the onion starts to brown, add vegetables, and half of marinade. Cover and let the vegetables steam for a few minutes.
- Add rice and the rest of marinade, mix it, and raise the heat to high for 2 minutes to finish and evaporate any excess moisture. Garnish with chopped basil.