Hello, chocolate! A rich chocolate cake is covered in a rich chocolatey frosting and then topped with a nutty coconut layer. This gorgeous dessert is the ultimate birthday cake and is sure to be a hit with everyone!
German Chocolate Cake [Vegan]
For the Chocolate Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup of dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 1/4 cups soy yogurt
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- A pinch of salt
For the Nutty Coconut Layer:
- 1/2 cup of cream from the top of a can of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup raw granulated cane sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1 cup of pecan nuts, chopped (plus extra whole pecans to decorate)
To Make the Cake:
- Prepare 2 8-inch cake tins and preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the yogurt mixture.
- In a separate bowl, sieve together all the dry ingredients and mix. Add half the dry ingredients to the butter mix, then add the rest and whisk well.
- Pour half the batter into each cake tin and tap well to remove air bubbles. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Allow to cool fully.
To Make the Chocolate Frosting:
- Add the butter, shortening, and powdered sugar to a food processor and blend until fluffy. Set aside to firm up for a little while before using – the food processor/blender will have warmed the icing and it might be a little runny.
To Make the Nutty Coconut Layer:
- Over high heat, bring the coconut milk, and sugar to a boil, then immediately reduce to a low simmer. Continue to simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla and salt. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped nuts and desiccated coconut. Spread over the cake immediately.
To Assemble the Cake:
- Place one of the chocolate cakes on a turntable or plate. Spread 2/3 of the coconut mixture over the base layer of the chocolate cake and place the second chocolate cake on top. Spread the remaining coconut mixture over the top of the cake (don’t put any on the sides).
- Using a palette knife, cover the sides of the cake with some chocolate buttercream. Place the remaining icing in a piping bag and decorate the rest of the cake with buttercream rosettes, and whole pecans.