Mmmmmmmmmm. You know those recipes that surprise you? The ones where you go “Nah, that isn’t possible! You can’t take dense flours and unprocessed sugars and make them taste like white flour desserts.” I’m here to tell you, it is possible! In fact, this vegan-style moist chocolate mug cake will amaze you with these wholesome ingredients. There are no hydrogenated oils, no butter, no eggs, processed sugars or flours that will spike your blood sugar. Yet, it still tastes like a moist chocolate cake dessert with the dreamy chocolatey center that you dream about when you picture that molten lava cake that you know isn’t good for you.
Fudgy, Gooey Cake for One [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 tablespoons cacao
- 1/4 teaspoon egg replacer
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon instant espresso (or whatever flavoring you prefer)
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 - 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) apple sauce (1 1/2 tablespoons yields a very moist, almost wet cake)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil (coconut oil is fine, but avocado oil came out slightly better in texture)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon sized chunk of frozen chocolate, broken into chunks or your favorite chocolate bar (not frozen)
- Mix all the dry ingredients and blend/stir in a microwave safe mug
- Add the wet ingredients and stir
- Drop the chunk of chocolate in the center (it will sink on its own)
- Microwave for 1 minute 50 seconds
- Top with ice cream!
*Frozen Chocolate - If you make homemade coconut oil/cacao chocolate bars, freeze it first. Check out Foodscape (in the author profile) for how to make it at home!