Plantains are a staple of any Caribbean diet. If you’ve seen plantains in the grocery store, but were never sure of what to do with them, then this simple recipe for fried plantains is for you! Ripe plantains with black skin are sliced, fried, and then rolled up into bite-sized pieces. This is the perfect appetizer at any summer party!
Fried Plantains [Vegan Gluten-Free]
- 2 large ripe plantains (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat the oil on a skillet on the stove to medium heat.
- Peel the plantains — if the plantains are ripe, you should be able to easily peel them like a banana — and slice lengthwise or at an angle, about a 1/4-inch thick.
- Place the plantains in the skillet to fry for about 1 minute per side or until the plantains are browned on each side.
- Remove from the skillet and pace on a plate lined with grease-proof paper. Sprinkle salt while it is still hot. If you cut the plantains lengthwise, you can roll them up and then stick them with a toothpick.
Choose yellow plantains with skin that is mostly black.