You can make these totally raw by leaving out the vermicelli and using collard greens or seaweed instead of rice paper. Otherwise, let's get riced! There is something so satisfying about rice paper rolls filled with fresh herbs, vermicelli, greens, and veggies, paired with a creamy flavorful dipping sauce. I could probably eat this and/or brown rice sushi every night of my life.
Veggie Summer Rolls With Spicy Garlic Peanut Sauce [Vegan]
For the Peanut Sauce:
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chunk of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons each of tamari, maple syrup, and lime juice
- Chili powder, to taste
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup water (more or less as needed)
For the Rolls:
- 1 cup cooked vermicelli (AKA rice noodles)
- 5-8 rice paper sheets
- 1 carrot
- 1 avocado
- 1/3 cucumber
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 5-8 kale leaves
- 1/2 red pepper
To Make the Peanut Sauce:
- Blend or mix together all the ingredients until smooth.
- If you like, sautee the garlic and ginger first to bring out more flavor.
- Set aside in a bowl.
To Make the Wraps:
- Cut all the veggies into thin strips.
- Dip your rice paper sheets in warm water so they soften and become pliable (do this one at a time), then arrange your fillings in the middle.
- Fold over two ends, then wrap it up like a burrito, making it as tight as possible.
- It might take a few tries to get it perfect. Serve with the sauce and enjoy nature's elegant beauty.