The weather is warming up so that only means more fresh, bright, and refreshing dishes. These *fresh spring rolls with crispy tofu* are the perfect recipe to enjoy on a hot summer or spring day. These spring rolls are fresh, delicious, and filled with crispy marinated tofu, fresh vegetables, and rice noodles. Additionally, these rolls are paired with a creamy, flavorful peanut sauce.
Fresh Spring Rolls with Crispy Tofu [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Fresh Spring Rolls with Crispy Tofu [Vegan]
For the Spring Rolls:
- 4 ounces rice noodles (such as vermicelli)
- 3 carrots, julienned
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 14-15 lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
- 14-16 whole spring roll rice papers
For the Crispy Tofu:
- 16 ounces extra-firm tofu, cut into strips (see photo for reference)
- 1/4 cup tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons tapioca or cornstarch
For the Peanut Sauce:
- 1/3 cup creamy, unsalted peanut butter
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons hot water
How to Prepare Fresh Spring Rolls with Crispy Tofu [Vegan]
- Prepare the rice noodles by adding them to a large bowl. Pour over boiling water and allow them to soak for 15 minutes (or according to pkg directions). Drain and set aside.
- Whisk together all tofu marinade ingredients in a shallow baking dish (about 8×10").
- Add tofu strips and flip them over to coat both sides. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While tofu is marinating, prep the veggies and peanut sauce. For the peanut sauce, add all ingredients to a bowl and whisk until creamy.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of hot water to achieve a pourable consistency.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add marinated tofu and bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- To assemble spring rolls, pour hot water into a shallow bowl and immerse rice paper to soften for about 10-15 seconds. Transfer to a damp cutting board or flat, clean surface and spread out edges into a circle.
- Add a handful of rice noodles to the bottom third of the rice paper followed by a small handful of carrots, red cabbage, bell pepper, lettuce, fresh mint, and 1 piece of tofu.
- Gently fold over once, tuck in edges, and continue rolling until the seam is sealed.
- Place spring rolls seam side down on a serving platter and cover with a damp towel.
- Serve fresh with peanut sauce. Store rolls individually wrapped in plastic wrap.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.