This foccacia pizza melds the pillowy-soft taste of focaccia and the deliciousness of pizza, all in one!
Focaccia Pizza [Vegan]
For the Focaccia:
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 – 1 cup pizza sauce
- Vegan Mozzarella
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced garlic
- Chopped basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the water, yeast, and sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes, until the yeast is foamy.
- In a separate bowl or standing mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, place the flour, salt, ¼ cup of the olive oil, and the yeast mixture and mix on medium speed until the dough forms a ball around the hook, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead several times, sprinkling with more flour, as needed, and form into a ball. Brush a large bowl with olive oil, and place the dough inside. Cover with and set aside for 1 hour to let the dough rise and doubled in size.
- Coat a 9 x 18 -inch rimmed baking sheet with the remaining ¼ cup olive oil and brush to evenly cover.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough several times.
- Then, place the dough in the oiled pan and press to spread it out to the pan’s edges. Flip the dough over and spread it to the edges again.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Cover the baking sheet and allow the dough to rise again until it has doubled in size, about 40 minutes.
- Uncover the dough, make indentations with your fingers, every few inches apart, all over the dough.
- Sprinkle with the rosemary. Carefully cover the dough with the pizza sauce, vegan cheese, veggies, and oregano. Bake for 25-30 minutes.