Crispy golden waffles made with freshly squeezed lemon juice and zest to make an intensely satisfying breakfast which just so happens to be vegan. With subtle hints of vanilla and lightly dusted with powdered sugar, these wonderful waffles are here to wow your weekend.
Fluffy Lemon Waffles [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup dairy-free milk
- 2/3 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons melted vegan butter or
- Coconut oil
- In a small bowl, stir together the ground flax seeds and water, and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt, and whisk until blended. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dairy-free milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla. Add the flax mixture and whisk to combine. While whisking, add the melted butter. Add the flour mixture and whisk just until combined and no streaks of dry flour remain in the batter.
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions. Add enough batter to fill the grid without overflowing, and close the lid. Cook until crispy and golden, then remove and serve immediately with maple syrup or fresh fruit as desired. Enjoy!
To keep waffles warm, preheat the oven to 200°F and place wire racks inside. When the waffles are finished cooking, place them on the racks to stay hot and crispy while you prepare the remaining waffles.