This recipe is made with banana blossoms and is definitely a dish you'll want to make during the week!
Fish ‘n’ Chips [Vegan]
For the Marinade:
- 14 oz (400g) canned banana blossom (drained & squeezed to get as much moisture out as possible)
- 2/3 nori (seaweed) sheets
- 4 tablespoons reduced salt soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons. fish seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (and extra for serving)
For the Batter:
- 3/4 cup flour (or gluten free)
- 1/2 cup cold water (or vegan pale ale if you’d prefer)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable or sunflower oil to shallow fry in
- In a sealable container, place in the banana blossom along with the rest of a marinade ingredients, shake, then place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes (60 minutes would be perfect).
- Then remove the banana blossom, shape into a fish fillet shape and wrap them in a nori sheet and (use a little water if necessary) and ensure the seaweed is stuck to the banana blossom.
- Next, mix all the batter ingredients until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan until hot enough (you’ll know it’s hot enough if you drop a little salt in and it’ll make a high pitch noise).
- Then coat the banana fillets in batter and lower into the oil, cook on each side until golden (around 3-4 minutes).
- When cooked, remove from the oil and serve!