All of the ingredients in this Greek and Italian fusion pizza get along so well. The olives, onions, spinach, feta, and cherry tomatoes get all aromatic and spicy with the oregano and red pepper flakes. They sit together so comfortable and cozy in the chewy and crisp crust. It was meant to be all along.
Feta and Olive Greek Pizza [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1 cup warm water, about 108°F (microwave for 30 seconds)
- 1 4-teaspoon packet active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon coconut nectar
- 1 1/2 cups sorghum flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup amaranth flour
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon applesauce
For the Feta Cheese:
- 4 ounces hemp tofu, cubed
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
For the Toppings:
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 cups sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup pitted and chopped Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
For the Glaze:
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Preheat the oven to 200°F and then turn it off. Place a pizza stone in the oven while it is pre-heating.
- To make the crust: Combine the warm water and yeast in a small bowl. Add the coconut nectar and stir to combine. Let the yeast mixture sit for about 8 minutes, or until foamy.
- Whisk together the sorghum flour, tapioca flour, amaranth flour, xanthan gum, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the middle.
- Add the applesauce to the yeast mixture, stir to combine, and pour into the flour mixture.
- Mix the dough together and form it into a ball.
- Place the dough in a bowl. Cover the bowl with a clean dishtowel, place it in the oven, and allow the dough to rise for 1 hour.
- To make the feta cheese: Combine the tofu, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, and thyme in a small bowl. Let this mixture marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- After the dough has risen, remove the dishtowel and place the dough on a lightly-floured piece of parchment paper with another piece of parchment on top of the dough. Roll it out into a circle about 11 inches in diameter. Remove the top piece of parchment.
- Place the pizza dough with just the bottom parchment paper on the heated pizza stone.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- Bake the pizza crust for 10 minutes.
- Take the cheeze out of the refrigerator and drain the liquid.
- To use the other Greek toppings: Take the pizza dough out of the oven, top with the onions, tomatoes, spinach, olives, nutritional yeast, oregano, red pepper flakes, and feta cheeze.
- To make the glaze: Mix together the molasses, water, and nutritional yeast in a small bowl. Brush the perimeter of the pizza dough with the glaze.
- Place the pizza back in the oven until the crust is a light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the pizza stone from the oven to a wire rack, and let sit for 15 minutes before cutting the pizza into 6 slices. This allows the dough to come together without getting gummy.
If you don’t have a pizza stone, you can place the pizza dough on a 15×13-inch baking sheet. From Sweet, Savory, and Free by Debbie Adler https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Savory-Free-Delicious-Plant-Based/dp/1944648046/?tag=onegrepla-20