Buttery, moist, and sweet vegan English scones flavored with dried cranberries and vanilla. They come together in one bowl and are ready in less than 30 minutes. Served with my simple 2 ingredient coconut cream and strawberry jam.
English Scones with Jam and Whipped Cream [Vegan]
For the Scones:
- 14 ounces plain flour (can sub gluten-free)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1.4 ounces sugar
- 2.47 ounces vegan butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces dried cranberries (or any other dried fruit)
- 6.42 ounces dairy-free milk
For the Toppings
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1 tin full fat coconut milk, chilled overnight
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F. Mix plain flour, baking powder, salt, and caster sugar together in a large bowl, then rub the butter in with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir through dried cranberries.
- Add milk to a jug and stir in the vanilla. Add a little at a time to the bowl, bringing the mixture together until it forms a firm dough, taking care not to overmix.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and pat into a circle about 3/4 of an inch thick. Cut scones with a 5cm cutter or glass. Bake for 12-15 mins until golden.
- To prepare the whipped coconut cream, open the tin of coconut milk and scoop out the fat from the top of the can. Mix in a small bowl with 2 tbsp of icing sugar using a fork. Layer scones with dollops of strawberry jam and coconut cream.