The empanadas smell delicious while cooking. What is it about the smell of dough baking that is incredibly appealing to our senses? The act of rolling out the little balls of dough is methodic. It is a great time to break out your cute apron and add a little love to the dish.
- Olive Oil (1-2 Tablespoons)
- 1 Package Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
- Flour (approx 1/4 cup for dusting surface)
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 small jar mild salsa
- 1 package vegan cheese (cheddar-style shreds)
- Note: you will have leftover salsa and cheddar style shreds
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with olive oil (if you have a silpat, line baking sheet with silpat and brush with olive oil).
- On a lightly floured surface divide dough into 6 equal-size pieces. Roll dough ball into an 8 inch circle.
- On one half of the dough circle, being careful to stay away from the edges, add 2 generous spoonfuls of refried beans.
- On top of the beans add 2 spoonfuls of salsa, and 2 spoonfuls of cheddar style shreds.
- Gently fold the other half of dough circle over the filling, and press with fingers all along edges to seal.
- Place the empanada on the baking sheet.
- Repeat steps 4 -7 with the remaining sections of dough.
- Brush each empanada with olive oil, and prick them with a fork once in the center.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes or until golden brown.