Egyptian Moussaka is traditionally made with ground meat, so this recipe substitutes it with diced mushrooms. Hidden in the delicate eggplant layers are currants which add a touch of sweetness. You could also add some sliced toasted almonds which would create a great crunch pairing perfectly with the cooked soft veggies.
Egyptian Eggplant Moussaka [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Egyptian Eggplant Moussaka [Vegan]
For the Tomato Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 3/4 large eggplant (Cut into medallions)
For the Mushroom + Veggie Saute:
- 2 cups diced mushrooms
- 1 diced red bell pepper
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Currants or golden raisins
For the Yogurt Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons plain unsweetened vegan yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- Salt to taste
How to Prepare Egyptian Eggplant Moussaka [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Evenly place sliced eggplant on baking sheet. Drizzle over a bit of olive oil and bake for 20 min. or until light golden brown.
- While eggplant is baking, heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add olive oil and heat till shimmering. Saute garlic for a few seconds, then add tomato paste and spices. Stir and cook for 1 min. to toast a bit.
- Pour in diced tomatoes and fresh thyme. Bring sauce to a low boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and let simmer for 15-20 min. while preparing the rest.
- In a medium skillet, heat a bit of olive oil. Add garlic, mushrooms, and bell pepper. Saute for 5-6 min. or until mushrooms have lost most of their moisture and bell pepper is soft. Add spices and cook for 2 min. more. Set aside.
- Assemble: In a casserole dish or deep baking dish spread 1 heaping spoonful of tomato sauce. Array a few eggplant slices to cover the bottom of the dish. Spoon on veggies, follow with more sauce and a sprinkle of currants. Repeat a few times until ingredients are used up. Bake for 15 min. or until heated through and the sauce has caramelized a bit on the sides.
- While mousakka is baking prepare the sauce. Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve by dishing up a bit of the mousakka, spoon over yogurt sauce, and garnish with chopped fresh basil. Enjoy!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Serving: Calories: 163 | Carbs: 23 g | Fat: 7 g | Protein: 6 g | Sodium: 471 mg | Sugar: 13 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.