This eggplant and mushroom vindaloo is a medley of delicious flavors. There are red onions and tomatoes, cinnamon and mustard seeds, and the balsamic vinegar gives the dish a mildly sweet and tangy flavor that goes great with the veggies. Serve with some rice to balance everything out.
Eggplant Vindaloo [Vegan]
For the Curry:
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped into large pieces
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped into large pieces
- 8 mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 4 spring onions, green and white parts chopped
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
For the Marinade:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1-inch piece ginger
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- First, prepare the marinade. Grind all of the marinade ingredients along with 2-3 tablespoons water.
- Marinate eggplant, pepper, and mushrooms in the marinade for 1 hour.
- To make the curry, Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large pan. Then, add the onions and cook until they turn golden brown on medium heat, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add marinated vegetables along with the marinade. Cook on medium for 5-8 minutes.
- Then add crushed tomatoes and cinnamon stick, cook on medium-low heat, covered for 35-40 minutes or until the vegetables are completely tender.
- Finally, add the mustard seeds and check the seasoning. Garnish with chopped cilantro and green onions. Serve.