These Eggplant Roll-ups with Hemp Basil Pesto and Balsamic Shiitake Mushrooms are an excellent way to use any leftover pesto! They are so yummy!
Eggplant Roll Ups with Hemp Basil Pesto [Vegan]
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup mushrooms, crimini work well
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- 2 handfuls fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon + 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- a couple of pinches of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Use a mandoline or a knife to slice your eggplant into thin strips.
- Place the eggplant in a baking tray and sprinkle with salt, allowing it to sweat out for about 10 minutes while your oven preheats and you assemble your remaining ingredients. Rinse with water, then dry with a towel before drizzling with 1 tablespoon oil and transferring to the oven.
- To make the mushrooms, heat a 1 teaspoon oil over medium in a skillet and toss in the mushrooms. They'll need a few minutes to soften and reabsorb their water. Once they have, toss in a little balsamic, stir to coat, then remove from heat.
- To make the pesto, combine hemp seeds, basil, remaining 1/4 cup olive oil, garlic, lemon, salt and nutritional yeast until smooth in a food processor. Set aside.
- Remove eggplant from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before removing from tray.
- Lay each strip out and place a scoop of pesto + a scoop of mushrooms on each. Roll up, end to end, and fold over to seal.