This recipe for eggplant fishless filets with white wine sauce is easy, fast, and very delicious. Eggplant is steamed with salt water and seaweed to infuse it with an umami, fishy flavor until soft and tender. The sauce is a basic white wine sauce with white onions. It's easy, quick, and the flavor super-rich. It is one of those sauces where you'll want to soak up every last drop with bread. This quick dinner for two is perfect for special occasions.
Eggplant Fishless Filets in White Wine Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 eggplants
- Salted water (seawater)
- Nori or other type of dried seaweed (optional)
- 1 white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- Pink pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup, plus 3 3/4 tablespoons white wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup salted water
- Sliced chives, for garnish
- Slice the eggplants lengthwise. On the "filets" that have eggplant skin, carefully slice a crosshatch pattern on top.
- Fill a pot with salted water, add seaweed if using, and steam the eggplant until tender.
- Slice the onion and garlic and sauté in a pan until slightly soft. Add pink peppercorns, then pour in the white wine. In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup water with the cornstarch. Allow to reduce.
- Plate the eggplant, top with the sauce, and then add pink peppercorns and chopped chives.