Oh, the dance of flavors in this salad. It has earthy grated sweet potato mingling with the sweet and juicy grated or peeled carrots. A whisper of tahini adds a bit of creaminess to the otherwise vinegary concoction, rounded out with chamomile-scented pickled raisins and bright fresh herbs. Despite its being a raw salad, this is something that feels almost soft and unctuous, deeply satisfying while cleansing and vitamin-packed.
Eat the Rainbow Salad [Vegan]
Pickled tea raisins:
- 3/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried chamomile tea flowers
- 1 cup organic golden raisins
- 1 cup organic dark raisins
For the salad:
- About 11 ounces raw sweet potato, peeled and grated on a box grater (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tahini paste
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- About 11 ounces carrots, grated or peeled into long ribbons (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced scallion (green part only)
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- To make the Pickled Tea Raisins, place the vinegar, chamomile, and 3/4 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Turn off the heat and allow to steep for 5 minutes.
- Combine the raisins in a heatproof bowl. Strain the liquid and pour over the raisins. Place in a container in the fridge to cool and hydrate. Store in the cooking vinegar for up to 2 weeks, squeezing the raisins of excess liquid before use.
- To make the salad: Place the grated sweet potato in ice water to release excess starch. Squeeze and pat dry on a clean kitchen towel.
- Whisk together the olive oil, tahini, vinegar, coriander seeds, cumin, and salt in the bottom of a salad bowl.
- Add the carrots, scallion, sweet potato, and 1 cup of the Pickled Tea Raisins. Toss to combine well. Add the parsley and cilantro leaves and toss again.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge.
You will have leftover Pickled Tea Raisins (this recipe makes 3 cups).
- Sweet Potato