I must admit, I do like the commercially canned and pre-made baked beans, but my skinny jeans and I are not fans of the high sugar content often found in even the organic varieties. Beans are packed with protein, iron, B vitamins, and fiber, and using teeny tomatoes in this recipe sweetens the deal without any need for additional sweeteners.
Easy, Healthy, Homemade Baked Beans [Vegan]
- Splash of coconut oil (optional)
- 1 small brown onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup crushed or sieved tomatoes (from a jar)
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup semi-dried tomatoes (or more cherry tomatoes)
- 400g/14oz can Borlotti beans (or your favorite beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried cayenne pepper
- Sea salt & cracked black pepper
- Heat oil (or a splash of water) in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring, until onions are translucent.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes to release their sweetness.
- Add beans, herbs and spices and continue to simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Taste and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- Serve on toast or fresh crusty bread, and enjoy!